Disability Related Employment Supports
Disability Related Employment Supports (DRES) helps Albertans with disabilities take employment training and find rewarding jobs and careers.
DRES funding is available to pay for supports that help Albertans overcome barriers to education or employment caused by a disability.
To be eligible for DRES supports and/or services an individual must:
- have a diagnosed and documented permanent or chronic disability that creates a barrier to education, training and/or employment
- be an Alberta resident
- be a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or refugee under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act be legally entitled to work and/or train in Canada
- be employment destined
- be determined eligible for DRES through an Employability Assessment and have a Service Plan
What Does DRES Offer?
DRES is offered in three categories:
Job Search Supports
Job search supports assist Albertans with disabilities aged 16 and older seek employment. The supports may include a sign language interpreter so that an individual with a hearing impairment can attend a job interview.
Workplace supports assist Albertans with disabilities aged 16 and older make a successful transition into the workplace, maintain employment, and enable their full participation in the workforce. The supports may include a job coach, worksite modification or assistive technology.
Education supports assist learners with disabilities who are out of the kindergarten to grade 12 school system, prepare for employment through post-secondary education, basic skill training, academic upgrading or labour market programs. The supports may include sign language interpreters, tutors, note takers, and assistive technology such as software programs specific to the disability.
Employer inquiries are welcomed.
- Canada-Alberta Labour Market Agreement for Persons with Disabilities
- Alberta Awards of Distinction
- DRES Policy
For more information on DRES:
- Call the toll-free Career Information Hotline at 1‑800‑661‑3753 (780‑422‑4266 in Edmonton)
- Contact your nearest Alberta Works Centre