Labour Market Information
Calgary & Area Labour Market Quarterly and Annual Reports
The Calgary and Area Labour Market Report is compiled quarterly and provides labour market and economic information and analysis, a review of labour market issues and provides valuable information to help Albertans, organizations and employers with their strategic planning.
Each report contains the following information:
- Economic Overview – information about the local, provincial, national and global economy
- Trends in the national, provincial and local labour market
- Community profiles highlighting information about different outlying communities in Calgary each quarter
- Industry Profiles highlighting findings from surveys with different local employers each quarter
- Labour Market Review
of Labour Market Quarterly Report!
Quarterly Labour Market Reports
Each Quarterly Report features:
- A snapshot of the Calgary economy, including economic growth, housing, labour force statistics, and industry employment.
- Calgary and Area Employer Survey Results – information on recruitment and retention practices, and other employment issues. Each quarter at least 200 companies are surveyed in the major industries in Calgary and Area by company size.
- 1st Quarter – Large-sized companies with 100+ employees
- 2nd Quarter – Medium-sized companies with 50 - 99 employees
- 3rd Quarter – Small-sized companies with 10 - 49 employees
- 4th Quarter – Micro-sized companies with less than 10 employees
This year’s reports also include a supplemental survey question about the economic downturn and diversification.
This year’s reports also include a supplemental survey question about training and development.
Bi-Annual Labour Market Reports
Each Bi-Annual Report provides a short term forecast of economic growth, employment demand, occupation supply and occupation needs and shortages for the Calgary Region. Each report covers two economic quarters, i.e. Q1 and Q2 in the first report, and Q3 and Q4 in the second.
- Employee Training and Development – Results from the 2015 Employer Survey
This report summarizes the results of the 2015 employer survey of 802 Calgary employers who were asked about their training and development priorities, budgets, challenges, and access to the Canada-Alberta Job Grant. The report synthesizes the information they provided, captures their comments, and provides some general analysis and context on the topic of training and development. Results specific to Calgary and area by company size and industry are provided.
- Recruiting and Employing Persons with Disabilities – Results from the 2014 Employer Survey
This report focuses on recruitment and employment practices for persons with disabilities. There is an information scan on the persons with disabilities population in Canada and Alberta, as well as their income, occupations, education and barriers to employment. The report also summarizes survey results from 800 Calgary employers, who were asked about their recruitment and employment practices for persons with disabilities. It demonstrates the progress that has been made and the work that still needs to be done to fully integrate and include this population in the workforce.
- Youth Recruitment and Retention Practices: Results from the 2013 Employer Survey
Youth employment is essential for business, especially in light of the aging workforce. This report summarizes the results of a quarterly employer survey conducted in Calgary in 2013 on attraction and retention of youth (15 - 24 years). The report presents a global perspective on the issue of youth unemployment, and also provides additional information on how some Calgary companies are being proactive in addressing these challenges in the local labour market. Calgary and Area employers were asked specific supplemental questions about challenges they were facing, and to identify strategies they were using to attract and retain youth. The results of the survey demonstrate a clear need for collaborative effort by all stakeholders (employers, government, education institutions, training and employment service providers, and youth alike) to find solutions to address the challenges.
- Retirements and Mature Worker Retention Practices. Results from the 2012 Employer Survey
This report summarizes the results of an employer survey on attraction and retention of mature workers that was conducted in 2012 in Calgary. In addition to the general questions about workforce attraction and retention practices, Calgary and Area employers were asked specific supplemental questions about retirement and retention practices of mature workers. The results of the supplemental questions, summarized in this report, validated a lot of the issues, trends and varying practices with respect to attraction and retention of mature workers. The report also features global trends on aging and labour force participation of mature workers.
The Annual report is a summary analysis of the 2015 quarterly economic and labour market conditions and includes the following information:
- The Economy in Review – a look at Calgary, Alberta, Canadian and international economies
- Trends in the Labour Market – an annual review of the labour market in Calgary, Alberta and Canada
- Calgary and Area Employer Survey Results – information was gathered on recruitment and retention practices, and other employment issues from a total of 801 employers by company size and industry sector
- Job Bank Analysis for Calgary and surrounding communities