Targeted Initiative for Older Workers Agreement (TIOW)
The Targeted Initiative for Older Workers is a federal-provincial/territorial cost-shared initiative that provides employment assistance services and activities, such as skills upgrading and work experience, to unemployed older workers aged 55 to 64 living in vulnerable communities.
Signed in 2011, the agreement enables the province to fund employment training programs for mature workers in communities with less than 250,000 people. The province will provide a maximum of $1.6 million while the federal government provides up to $8.45 million until the agreement ends in March 2012.
- Federal-provincial news release, February 25, 2011
- Federal-provincial news release, January 25, 2011
- Federal-provincial agreement
- TIOW Amending Agreement-Extending Agreement to March 2014
- Targeted Initiative for Older Worker Agreements across Canada
- Targeted Initiative for Older Workers Best Practices Compendium. (English version / French version)
To find out about TIOW-funded projects in Alberta, including other non-funded TIOW projects that serve older workers, contact:
Or contact an Alberta Works Centre.