Child Care Licensing - Alberta Human Services - Government of Alberta

Child Care Licensing

A licence is required under the Child Care Licensing Act to operate a child care program that provides care for seven or more children except for:

  • An education program provided under the School Act;
  • A day camp, vacation camp or other recreational program that operates for less than 12 consecutive weeks;
  • Supervision of children at a recreational facility, retail centre or other commercial establishment where the parents of the children remain on the premises and are available; or
  • Private babysitting in a private home for six children or less. The caregiver's own children are not included in these six.
  • Approved family day homes are not required to be licensed as they are monitored by the family day home agency.

The Child Care Licensing Regulation sets out the minimum standards that must be met in a licensed child care program to ensure that the health, safety and developmental needs of children are met.

Child and Family Service Authorities (CFSA) licence, monitor and issue enforcement actions. Should you have any questions regarding applying for a child care licence, please contact local Child and Family Services Authority.

Child Care Licensing Act

New Licence Holder Information Session

Alberta Human Services, Early Childhood Development has introduced an on-line learning tool to assist new licence holders who wish to apply for a new licence under the Child Care Licensing Act. New licence holders have the option of completing the on-line version or the self-study guide which is available through their local Child and Family Service Authority. All licence holders are welcome to complete the information session if they wish. However, evidence of completion is required for new licence holders in order to obtain a child care program licence in Alberta.

This new Online Learning Environment (OLE) is available at no cost to a new licence holder.

How to get started in OLE 

Having problems viewing OLE?

Starting a Child Care Program

If you are opening a child care program in the City of Edmonton please refer to BizPal to determine what other permits and licences may be required.

Modified: 2015-01-22
PID: 15839