How to Apply for Certification - Alberta Human Services - Government of Alberta

How to Apply for Certification

To apply, you will need to complete the Application for Child Care Certification along with a copy of your personal identification, including your signature and birth date, to the Alberta Child Care Staff Certification Office.


To receive Child Development Assistant certification, a photocopy of transcripts or course completion is required verifying 45 hours (3 credits) of early learning and child care coursework, completion of the Child Care Orientation Course or CCS 3110, 3120, 3130, 3140 and 3150 (offered through Alberta high schools).

To receive Child Development Worker or Child Development Supervisor certification, official transcripts must be sent directly from the educational institution listing all courses and completion of any certificate, diploma or degree program in early learning and child care, or approved educational equivalencies (consult the Certification Guide).

We do not accept photocopies or faxed copies of transcripts for Child Development Worker or Child Development Supervisor certification. You must have official transcripts, or verified copies of official transcripts, sent directly from the educational institution. If your transcripts do not indicate completion of your educational credential, you may attach your original parchment confirming completion of the credential.

Your Registration Number

When we receive your application, we will assign a registration number to you. This number is unique to you and remains the same, even if your name or certification level changes.

Processing your Application

Your child care staff certificate will be cancelled if it was issued based on false or inaccurate information. Your signature authorizes the Alberta Child Care Staff Certification Office to contact the educational institutions you attended to verify your credentials.

The Certification Office will contact you if more information is needed to complete the assessment.


You may request a re-assessment of your certification level if you believe your education qualifies you for a higher level of certification or you have completed coursework that leads to a higher level of certification. This request must be made using the Application for Child Care Staff Certification, along with any additional information that might be useful for the re-assessment (i.e., course descriptions, updated official transcript, etc.).

If you were certified before May 2008, and your educational credentials now meet the Educational Equivalencies as listed in the Child Care Certification Guide, please submit an Application For Child Care Staff Certification  to have your certification re-assessed.

If your re-assessment results in a higher level of certification, a new certificate will be mailed to you. If your re-assessment does not result in any change, you will receive a letter verifying that a re-assessment has been completed and no change was made to your certification level.

If your re-assessment does not result in a higher level of certification, you have several options:

  • Have your credentials evaluated by an Alberta public college or university to determine equivalency to an approved certificate/diploma/degree program eligible for certification.
  • Have your credentials evaluated by the International Qualification Assessment Services (IQAS) to verify equivalency towards an approved educational program eligible for certification.
  • Inquire about “challenge exams” or “prior learning assessments” with Alberta public colleges offering early learning and child care programs.

Contact the Certification Office

Child Care Staff Certification Office
Alberta Human Services
9940-106 Street
Edmonton AB T5K 2N2

Toll-free: 1‑800‑661‑9754 (Alberta only)
In Edmonton and outside of Alberta: 780‑422‑1119
Fax: 780‑427‑1258

Hours of Operation: 8:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.


Modified: 2017-07-19
PID: 15817