Accreditation Funding for Child Care Programs
Accreditation funding is available to licensed day care and out-of-school care programs as well as contracted family day home agencies that are enrolled in Alberta Child Care Accreditation.
Types of Funding Grants
- Wage Top-Up (Staff/Provider Support Funding) – provides a wage top-up for eligible paid program staff/providers over and above the base wage paid by the employer. The wage top-up is considered a ‘wage’ under the Alberta Employment Standards Code.
- Professional Development Grant – available to eligible certified staff to help obtain higher levels of certification and attend approved conferences and workshops related to early learning and child care.
- Staff Attraction Incentive – available to support the recruitment of qualified staff. This funding is also considered a “wage” under the Alberta Employment Standards Code. Read more about this funding.
- Benefit Contribution Grant – provided to child care programs to offset the costs of the mandatory provincial and federal employer contributions associated with the wage top-up funding and the child care staff attraction incentive allowance including statutory pay, vacation pay, Employment Insurance (EI), Canada Pension Plan (CPP), and Workers Compensation Board (WCB) premiums.
Accreditation funding is paid to eligible child care programs which are responsible to transfer it to the staff in accordance with the Alberta Employment Standards Code and policies set out in the Accreditation Funding guides.
|Please Note: Forms on this site work best with Internet Explorer 8.0+. If you are using Google Chrome or Mozilla FireFox and are unable to open PDF forms, see the Adobe Help for the solution.|
Read the Accreditation Funding Guide for your program type to learn details about application process as well as current rates and eligibility requirements. The Guides were updated September 2014.
- Accreditation Funding Guide for Day Care Programs
- Accreditation Funding Guide for Family Day Homes
- Accreditation Funding Guide for Out-of-School Care Programs
See a quick overview of the accreditation funding rates by clicking on the link that notes your program type below:
Forms and Applications
- Accreditation Funding Grant Application - main application form (Revised May 2015)
- Supplementary Form A for Wage Top-Up
- Supplementary Form B for Professional Development Grant (Revised March 2015)
- Supplementary Form C for Staff Attraction Incentive Allowance (Revised May 2015)
- Provider Registration Form (for Family Day Homes) (Revised February 2015)
- Return Grant Funding Form (Revised February 2015)
Funding AuditsEvery year the Quality Assurance and Standards Unit of the Early Childhood Development Branch audits a sample of child care programs that received accreditation funding for the previous fiscal year(s). The following documents identify the most common issues relating to the administration of accreditation funding by child care operators.
- Top Observations 2016
- Top Observations 2015
- Top Observations 2014
- Top Observations 2013
- Top Observations 2012
- Top Observations 2011
- Child Care Accreditation
- Child Care Staff Attraction Incentive Allowance
- Child Care Wages in Alberta
- Child Care Certification