Child and Youth Support Program - Alberta Human Services - Government of Alberta

Child and Youth Support Program

  • Financial and medical benefits for a child when the parents/guardians are unable or unwilling to care for the child, and the child is being cared for in another home of an adult caregiver.
  • Supplements some of the child’s needs and offset some of the costs associated with the care.
  • Care and responsibility of the child remains with the parents/guardian and caregiver. Biological and adoptive parents are not eligible to apply for the CYS benefits for their own children.
  • The CYS program promotes stable relationships for children by offering an alternate out-of-home placement.

The caregiver and child may be able to receive benefits if:

  • The caregiver has private guardianship of the child.
  • The child is under 18 years of age at the time of application.
  • The child/youth is attending school, employed full-time or attending a full-time training program.
  • The child is living with the caregiver seven days a week.
  • The parent/guardian who is unable or unwilling to provide care for their child is not living in the same home as the caregiver.
  • The caregiver does not live on-reserve (The Child Out of Parental Home Program is available for caregivers who live on-reserve).

Basic benefit

  • Children 0-11 years: Up to $105.00/month
  • Children 12-17 years: Up to $148.00/month

Supplementary benefits

  • Extended medical coverage under the Alberta Child Health Benefit Program
  • Child care expenses
  • School fees/expenses
  • Annual supplementary benefit: Up to $200/year

Income received on behalf of the child

The caregivers income is not considered. Some income that can be received on behalf of the child is considered. This income includes:

  • Maintenance/child support payment
  • SFI or Assured Support where the child is a dependant
  • Income received through the child’s employment
  • The child’s student loans or grants

* The Canada Child Tax Benefit and the National Child Benefit Supplement are not considered income.

How to apply

Contact your local Child and family service office or call 310‑0000 toll free for the phone number of the office nearest you.

Modified: 2014-10-14
PID: 15538