Residential Access Modification Program (RAMP) - Alberta Human Services - Government of Alberta

Residential Access Modification Program (RAMP)

Please Note: Forms on our website work best with Internet Explorer 8.0+. If you are using Google Chrome or Mozilla FireFox and are unable to open PDF forms, see the Adobe Help for the solution.

The Residential Access Modification Program (RAMP) provides grants to help lower-income Albertans with mobility challenges modify their homes so they can enter and move around more easily.

Show Answer How much funding can I get through the RAMP grants?

You can apply for a RAMP grant for up to $7,500 annually and up to a maximum of $15,000 within a 10-year benefit period.

Show Answer Who is eligible for a RAMP grant?

  • All wheelchair users, regardless of age, who meet program criteria (homeowner, tenants, and people living with family).
  • Canadian citizens or permanent residents who have lived in Alberta for 90 continuous days and have a valid Personal Health Number
  • Aboriginal people living off- and on-reserve .
  • People with the following progressive neuro-degenerative diseases: multiple sclerosis, muscular dystrophy, ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease), COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), non-recovering stroke, Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's disease, spina bifida, and/or spinal cord injuries.
  • Seniors aged 65+ who are using a 4-wheel walker on an ongoing basis.
  • More than one wheelchair user per household may apply for a RAMP grant.  However, the applications must be for separate modifications on the same property.

Show Answer Caveats

If a homeowner’s or a rental property has the following caveats registered on Land Titles the property will not be eligible for a grant to modify the property unless the caveats are removed:

  • Lis Pendens: filed by a spouse against a property due to an impending marriage dissolution to protect their interest in the property.
  • Municipal Tax Caveat: registered by a municipality against a property for non-payment of municipal property taxes. This is a step towards seizure and sale for non-payment of property taxes.

Show Answer What are the income guidelines?

To be eligible, you must have a total gross adjusted household income of $36,900 or less. If applicable, this amount can be increased under these circumstances:

  • Amount can be increased by $9,600 if you have a spouse (married or common-law). This means you can collectively earn up to $46,500.
  • Amount can be increased by $9,600 for each child under 21 years of age still living at home and attending school full-time (applies to natural and adopted children).
  • If you are applying for a dependent child (under the age of 18 years and still living at home attending school full-time) who is using a wheelchair, you may add an additional $7,131 to your allowable income.

Show Answer What if I bought a home recently?

  • If, within the last 24 months before your RAMP application, you bought a home that exceeds the property threshold value in your area, you are not eligible to receive a RAMP grant.
  • The property threshold value still applies if you build or move a home onto land that you or your family previously owned.
  • If there is more than one person (the applicant) listed on the land title as a registered owner, the value of the purchased property is not diluted amongst the owners.  For example, if there are four registered owners listed on a personal residence title, and the value of the property is $1,000,000, the applicant’s portion is not considered to be $250,000 – it is the total value of the property: $1,000,000.  This value remains the same regardless if the four owners are listed as joint tenants or whether they are listed as a percentage owner.
  • The major centres in Alberta also have a number of environ communities (bedroom communities), which are considered at the same level of value as the centre. These communities include:
Airdrie Conrich Irricana
Balzac Crossfield Lyalta
Bragg Creek Delacour Priddis
Cochrane De Winton Strathmore
Beaumont Kapasiwin Seba Beach
Betula Beach Lakeview Summer Village Spring Lake
Bon Accord Leduc St. Albert
Bruderheim Leduc County Stony Plain
Calahoo Legal Strathcona County
Calmar Morinville Sherwood Park
Devon New Sarepta Sturgeon County
Fort Saskatchewan Nisku Sundance Beach
Gibbons Parkland County Thorsby
Golden Days Point Alison Summer Village Wabamun
Itaska Beach Redwater Warburg
Grande Prairie
Clairmont Grovedale  
Coalhurst Nobleford Stirling
Diamond City Picture Butte Tempest
Magrath Shaughnessy  
Medicine Hat
Dunmore Redcliff  
Irvine Seven Persons  
Wood Buffalo
Fort Chipewyan Fort McMurray  

Show Answer What are the guidelines around the modifications?

  • The house that is being modified must be your primary residence, and it must be in Alberta.
  • You can own or rent the house that is being modified.
  • Modifications must facilitate access into or movement within a home, as per program guidelines listed in the Guidelines and Criteria document (PDF, 153 KB).

Show Answer What if I don't own the place where I live?

If you don't own the place you live in, you can still apply.

Your landlord must approve the modification. Your landlord will need to fill out the Property Modification Approval form included in the application package.

If you are renting and your landlord does not approve of permanent modifications, you may apply for temporary modifications with the landlord's approval such as:

  • a modular steel or aluminum access ramp (10' lengths with hand rails)
  • a porch lift
  • a stair lift (exterior or interior)

Show Answer What if I live on a reserve?

You can still get funding. RAMP grants are available to eligible applicants on-reserve or off-reserve.

Show Answer If I did modifications already, can I still apply for a grant?

You may still apply if your project has started or is already finished. But you must:

  • Submit a completed application.
  • Your application must be received by the RAMP head office as soon as possible but no later than 90 calendar days of the completion date of your project.
  • If the project falls within RAMP’s guidelines it may be considered.

Show Answer What if I don't want the modifications to be permanent?

Funding is available for temporary modifications if you are a tenant and your landlord will not allow permanent modifications, but will allow temporary modifications.

Types of temporary modifications are:

  1. Temporary modular steel or aluminum wheelchair ramps (10’ lengths with hand rails)
  2. Porch lifts
  3. Stair lifts (interior or exterior)

Show Answer Timelines

  • If a RAMP grant is approved, the project must be completed within 90 days of the approval (unless delays are necessary due to the winter season). Invoices must be submitted to the ministry (Community and Social Services – RAMP, see RAMP Contact Information) by the vendors, contractors, landlord (property owner) and/or approved applicants. The invoices are to be signed by the applicant, guardian, trustee or enduring power of attorney, agent for a personal directive, and dated to confirm satisfactory project completion, and photographs are to be forwarded to the RAMP program via email (in .jpg format) or mail.
  • Applicants are expected to live at their current address for 10 consecutive years after the modifications have been completed.

Show Answer Priority Applications

  • If a person (using a wheelchair) is about to be discharged from a public medical institution, or if a person is deemed to be palliative, their application will be assessed on a priority basis in order to reduce the waiting time for a possible approval.
  • However, RAMP cannot affect or reduce the waiting time required to order equipment, or the time required for a contractor to start or complete any exterior site preparations to accommodate exterior porch lifts or exterior wheelchair ramps because of adverse weather conditions.
  • Red check boxes have been added at the top of the first page of the RAMP Grant Application (PDF, 348 KB) to indicate if the applicant is about to be discharged from the hospital or if the applicant is in Palliative care.

Show Answer What are the eligible permanent modifications to a home?

Modifications that are eligible for the grant are:

  1. Those that facilitate access, and are part of a total access system, by the user into their own home or living space; and,
  2. Those that facilitate movement by the user within their own home or living space.

Please view the RAMP Guidelines and Criteria document (PDF, 153 KB) for more information.

Show Answer How do I apply for a RAMP grant?

To apply, complete the RAMP application package (PDF, 348 KB). Please refer to the Grant Application Checklist at the beginning of the application package to determine which pages of the application should be completed.

Show Answer Appeals

  • RAMP does not have an appeal process. To receive funding for an eligible modification, applicants must meet program criteria. If an application is rejected, an applicant has the opportunity to provide additional or new information and ask for it to be reassessed.
  • The RAMP application will also be reassessed if a rejected installed modification may be altered to comply with program guidelines.

Show Answer Application package

Contact Information

PO Box 808, Edmonton Main
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 2L4

Phone: (Edmonton local) 780-427-5760
Toll free: 1-877-427-5760
Email RAMP


The personal information collected on the Residential Access Modification Program Application is protected under the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act. The personal information collected on the application form is collected for determining eligibility for the Residential Access Modification Program. The information will not be disclosed except as authorized by the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.

Modified: 2018-03-27
PID: 15687