Hiring Service Providers - Alberta Human Services - Government of Alberta

Hiring Service Providers


Resources for Parents


Contact Us

In Alberta, parents are responsible for choosing service providers to work with their child and family. Parents may access a service provider in one of two ways:

  • Directly hiring an individual in their community
  • Obtaining services through an established agency (business).

In “direct-hire” situations, the parents are expected to assume all employer responsibilities. The service provider becomes the parents’ employee and is paid directly by the parent. More information for families who are hiring caregivers can be found below.

Individuals hired by an agency become employees of that agency, and employer requirements – including staff payment, income tax deductions and employer contributions for Employment Insurance (EI) and Canada Pension Plan (CPP) – become the agency’s responsibility.

If you are interested in becoming a “direct-hire service provider”, you may consider placing ads in your local newspaper, or on community bulletin boards in locations where families frequent, such as schools, churches, community leagues, recreation facilities or day cares.

If you wish to work for an agency that supports children with disabilities, there are many ways to find out which agencies operate in your community:

  • Consult your local telephone directory or municipal website.
  • Check your local newspaper's “Help Wanted” section.
  • Contact a disability association such as the Alberta Association for Community Living (AACL). You can contact the AACL toll-free by calling 1-800-252-7556.



Information for Families who are Hiring Caregivers

Families who are hiring caregivers may be considered employers by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). The following resources may be of assistance to families regarding their specific situations:

Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)

CRA will determine if an employer/employee relationship exists between a family and their caregiver on a case-by-case basis. Families are encouraged to visit the CRA website to find the booklet “Employee or Self-Employed?”, or contact the CRA and request a ruling by calling toll-free 1-800-959-5525.

As an employer, the family is legally obligated to comply with all relevant employment laws and is required to pay CRA directly on a monthly basis for EI, CPP, and personal income taxes for their employees.


Alberta Employment Standards

Employment Standards oversees the provincial legislation affecting that regulates key aspects of working in Alberta, including hours of work, minimum wage, overtime, general holidays, vacation pay, termination, etc.  Families can access information about Alberta’s employment standards by calling toll-free within Alberta at 310-0000 and asking for the Employment Standards Client Services Office.

Information and the following Fact Sheets: “Employment Standards Guide” and “Domestic Employment” can be found on the Alberta Employment Standards website.


Workers’ Compensation Board – Alberta (WCB)

Workers’ Compensation is a disability insurance system set up to protect both the employer and their employees. Inquiries regarding the possible requirement to provide WCB coverage, and what these requirements are, should be directed to the WCB by calling toll-free within Alberta at 310-0000 or visiting the WCB website.


Financial and Payroll Responsibilities

To address the record keeping and/or payroll requirements of being an employer, some families may seek the advice and services of an accountant, a payroll service or with the assistance of CRA staff. Some payroll services may be available online or by telephone.


Alberta Occupational Health and Safety

The Jobs, Skills, Training and Labour website provides information, guides and resources on Alberta and federal occupational health and safety requirements for the workplace, and information on hiring employees. 


Alberta Human Rights and Citizenship Commission

The Commission provides public information and assistance to help Albertans resolve human rights complaints and can be contacted toll-free within Alberta by dialing 310-0000, than one of the following numbers:

Northern Local Office Confidential Inquiry Line: 780-427-7661
Southern Local Office Confidential Inquiry Line: 403-297-6571



If employing a worker in the family home, a family may wish to contact to their personal insurance provider regarding their homeowner policy and options for legal liability insurance.


Legal Advice

Families may wish to seek legal advice prior to or during the process of becoming established as an employer.


Created: 2012-12-20
PID: 15781