Application - Alberta Human Services - Government of Alberta


Show Answer How do I apply to the FSCD program?

Complete the FSCD application form and send it along with the necessary medical letters/information to your local FSCD office. You can also pick up or request a copy of the FSCD application form from your local FSCD office. If you have any questions regarding the application process, or for help completing the FSCD application form, please call your local FSCD office.

Show Answer I am moving to Alberta, can I apply to the program before I move?

You may start completing your FSCD application form and gathering the medical information to provide your application before you move to Alberta. You can find information about applying to the FSCD program on the Ministry website. If you know where you are moving to in Alberta, you may also contact the FSCD office in that community to inquire about local resources. The FSCD application and intake process cannot be completed until you and your child arrive in Alberta. Only guardians and their children who reside in Alberta can access the FSCD program.


Show Answer Is the information I provide confidential?

All information you provide to FSCD is confidential and is not shared with anyone, who is not authorized to see it, without your consent. The information you provide is collected under the authority of the FSCD Act and is managed in compliance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. If you have any questions about what information you need to provide, or how it will be used, please contact your FSCD worker, or if you do not have an FSCD worker, you can contact your local FSCD office.

Show Answer Do I need to complete an FSCD application form if I already have another child receiving services through FSCD?

Yes, an FSCD application form and appropriate medical documentation is required for each child. You can provide your completed FSCD application form and information directly to your FSCD worker. They will determine eligibility for the FSCD program. If eligible, you will have the same FSCD worker for your family.

Show Answer Do I need to complete an application form if my child has received FSCD services in the past? How do I re-open my FSCD file?

If your child’s file has been closed for more than 90 days you will need to complete a new application form. If you have had an open file within the last 90 days, please contact your previous FSCD worker. If they are not available, contact your local FSCD office.

Show Answer Do I need to complete an application form if I am moving to another place within the province?

No, if you already have a file with FSCD simply call your FSCD worker and they will help you transfer your file to the FSCD office nearest to where you are moving.

Show Answer Are there waiting lists to get services?

There is not a wait list to access the FSCD program, however, before services can be provided and FSCD worker will need to confirm that you are eligible for the program and meet with you to discuss your child's and family's needs. There may be waiting periods to access services through some agencies or specific services providers in a family’s community. The demand for services and the availability of specialists (e.g. – speech and language pathologists, occupational therapists, etc.) in some communities may impact how long it takes to find a service provider.

Show Answer I sent in an application for the FSCD program and didn’t get a response, what should I do?

If you have not heard from the FSCD program within two weeks of submitting your application information please call your local FSCD office.

Show Answer What happens after I apply? How does the FSCD program work?

An FSCD worker will determine if you and your child are eligible for the FSCD program. The worker will then meet with you to complete an assessment of your family’s and child’s needs and create your Individualized Family Support Plan (IFSP). The FSCD services you and your FSCD worker agree upon will be included in an FSCD Agreement that can be for a term of up to one year at which time you and your FSCD worker will review your family's needs. Your FSCD worker can assist you with coordinating your services and will be available to discuss your family’s support needs through the year.

Show Answer What is an Assessment of Needs?

The Assessment of Needs is the FSCD program’s process of reviewing information that you, your service providers (where applicable) and the professionals working with you and your child provide in order to gain an understanding of your family’s unique needs and circumstances; the supports and resources that may already be available to you; and your goals and priorities for your child and family. As part of the Assessment of Needs process, the FSCD worker may also consult with professionals who have particular expertise or the FSCD Multi-Disciplinary Team (MDT) to help better understand your family’s and child’s needs, or to interpret the information that has been provided.

Show Answer What is an Individualized Family Support Plan (IFSP)?

The Individualized Family Support Plan (IFSP) is a document completed by a family and their FSCD worker that identifies a family’s priorities, goals and the strategies to address their goals related to enhancing their child’s development within the context of their family, community and other natural environments.

Show Answer What happens when my child turns 18?

The FSCD program is available for children up to age 18. Beginning around age 16, your FSCD worker will talk with you about plans for the transition to adulthood and adult programs and services where applicable. Your FSCD worker will provide you with information about adult services and assist you to develop a transition plan to help prepare for the service changes associated with your child becoming an adult.

Created: 2012-12-19
PID: 15776