Concerns Resolution Process - Alberta Human Services - Government of Alberta

Concerns Resolution Process

The FSCD program will work with you to resolve any concerns that may arise or if you disagree with a decision regarding the FSCD program.

If you have a concern:

  1. Discuss the concern with your FSCD worker
    Your FSCD worker will discuss the matter with you and explain options available to you if a solution cannot be reached.
  2. Contact an FSCD Supervisor
    An FSCD supervisor can further assist you and your worker to help resolve your concern.
  3. Contact an FSCD Local Manager
    An FSCD local manager can also provide assistance to resolve concerns.

If your concern is not resolved, there are more formal concern resolution options available to you. You may request any one or all of these options:


Review of an FSCD Program Decision:

At least one program manager who was not involved in the original program decision, and one other uninvolved manager, manager’s designate or FSCD specialist will review your concern and the FSCD program decision that you disagree with.

To request a review of an FSCD program decision you need to submit a “Request for a Review of an FSCD Program Decision” form to your FSCD worker. The review will be completed within 15 working days of FSCD receiving your request. Your local FSCD office can provide you with a copy of the form, or you can download a PDF version of the Request for the Review of an FSCD Decision form.



An objective third party, or mediator, assists you and the FSCD staff to reach a decision that is agreeable to everyone involved. Your FSCD worker may suggest mediation as an option to resolve your concern.

  • If you wish to use mediation, please notify your FSCD worker and they will make the arrangements.



An Appeal Committee, made up of citizens appointed by the Minister of Human Services, meets with you and the FSCD staff to discuss the FSCD program decision.

  • If you have been notified of a FSCD program decision that you disagree with, you have 45 calendar days to request an appeal. You will need to submit a “Notice of Appeal” form. Your local FSCD office can provide you with a copy of the form or you can download a PDF version of the FSCD Notice of Appeal form.
  • For more information on the Appeal Process, contact the Appeal Secretariat toll free by dialing 310-0000, then 780-422-2775 or visit the Appeals Secretariat website.

If you have already gone to an appeal, but feel that you have been treated unfairly, you may contact the Office of the Ombudsman.

The Alberta Ombudsman responds to complaints of unfair treatment by authorities of the provincial government. The Ombudsman operates independently from any part of the Alberta government and reports directly to the Legislative Assembly.

The Ombudsman does not investigate complaints until all rights of appeal are exhausted.

Complaints to the Ombudsman must be made in writing:

Alberta Ombudsman
9925 109 Street, Suite 700
Edmonton, Alberta T5K 2J8

Contact the Alberta Ombudsman toll-free by dialing 310-0000, then 780-427-2756 (Edmonton) or 403-297-6185 (Calgary).


Modified: 2018-10-04
PID: 15656