Frequently Asked Questions - Alberta Human Services - Government of Alberta

Frequently Asked Questions

Image of blocks spelling out FAQ

Show Answer How does the adoption legislation affect birth parents and adults who have been adopted in Alberta?

On November 1, 2004, when the Child, Youth and Family Enhancement Act came into effect, the Alberta government opened access to identifying information contained in adoption records. This change affects all adoptions granted in the province prior to January 1, 2005. Birth parents and adoptees, who are 18 years and older, may obtain identifying information about one another, unless a veto is in place at the time of the request.

Individuals who want their identifying information to remain confidential must file a disclosure veto with Alberta’s Post Adoption Registry. This veto will prevent the release of any birth registration or adoption information identifying the person.

Show Answer Can I prevent the release of my identifying information?

Yes. If the adoption took place prior to January 1, 2005, either party can file a disclosure veto to ensure that identifying information remains confidential.

You can obtain a disclosure veto on-line or by calling our office at 780‑427‑6387, toll free 310‑0000 and then ask for 780‑427‑6387. The disclosure veto can be mailed or faxed to our office. Once received, the veto will be placed in the adoption record.

Show Answer What will happen if I do not file a veto?

If you do not file a veto and the adult adoptee or birth parent registers a request for your identifying information, your information will be released to the biological parent or adoptee making the request. Birth parents will not be able to access information about their biological child until six months past the child’s 18th birthday.

Show Answer What information will I get if the other person has registered a veto?

If the person you want to find has registered a veto, you can still receive non-identifying information, which may include: province of birth, marital status, occupation, education level, physical description, personality, interests of the parent and medical history of the family.

Show Answer Can a veto be filed on behalf of an adopted person?

In rare cases where an adult adoptee does not know they are adopted and the adoptive parents believe the release of personal information could be detrimental to the adoptee, the adoptive parents may provide the supporting information to the ministry and the minister will make a decision in the best interest of the adoptee.

Show Answer Will identifying information about the adoptive parents be released?

All identifying information relating to the adoptive parents will remain confidential. Birth parents and adult adoptees may only obtain identifying information about one another, unless a disclosure veto is in place prohibiting the release of this information.

Show Answer What if I need more time to consider my decision?

If an adult adoptee and/or a birth parent require more time to make their decision, it is recommended that they file a disclosure veto immediately to ensure confidentiality. The disclosure veto can be withdrawn at any time if the individual changes their mind. It is important to note that if a request for information is received, and a disclosure veto is not on file, your identifying information will be released.

Show Answer Does registering a Request for Release form mean that I will be reunited with my birth parent or biological child?

Completing a Request for Release form will not reunite you with birth family/biological children. Adult adoptees and/or birth parents may obtain the identifying information contained in the adoption record, if a veto is not on file. Once the identifying information has been obtained, the individual will need to decide what to do with the information.

Show Answer What kind of information can I expect to receive?

Adult adoptees and birth parents will have access to both identifying and non-identifying information contained in the adoption record. Non-identifying information may include: province of birth, marital status, occupation, education level, physical description, personality, and interests of the parent(s) and medical history of the family.

The identifying information could include names, ages (date of birth if known) and place of birth. If a disclosure veto is on file, the adult adoptee and birth parent will continue to receive the non-identifying information in the adoption record.

Show Answer What about individuals who are not sure how they want to proceed? Is there support available for adoptees and birth parents?

Yes. There are different options for information, counselling or supports. You can access a resource list or get in touch with the Post Adoption Registry.

Show Answer Where can I get more information?

Call 780‑427‑6387. To be connected toll free from anywhere in Alberta, dial 310‑0000 then dial 780‑427‑6387. Mail your letter to 11th Floor, Sterling Place, 9940-106 Street, Edmonton, Alberta, T5K 2N2, or email:

Show Answer What if I live in Alberta, but I was adopted in another province?

Each province maintains their own adoption records. Please contact the province where your adoption was finalized. View a listing of Canadian Registries.

Show Answer I need to provide Maintenance Enforcement with proof that the child I fathered was adopted. Can you help me?

You will have to contact Maintenance Enforcement at 780‑422‑5555 to discuss your concern.

Show Answer Do I need to complete an application form to receive identifying information if I am already registered with the Post Adoption Registry?

You will need to complete a Request for Release form and forward it to the Post Adoption Registry. All requests are processed in the order in which they are received.

Modified: 2012-11-30
PID: 15579