» Income and Employment Supports Policy Manual

Skip To Navigation

Skip To Content

Learner Policy & Procedures

Published Date: March 29, 2012
Bookmark this page

Learner Income Support Benefits

Non-Continuous Supplementary Benefits

Damage Deposit


Income Support, Training and Health Benefits Regulation, Schedule 4, Section 14(b)
Full-Time Learners: Schedules 1, 2, 3 and 4 (Labour)
Full-Time Learners: Schedules 1, 2, 3 and 4 (Advanced Education)


To assist learners escaping abuse to obtain accommodation.


The Government of Alberta may pay the cost of a damage deposit necessary to obtain accommodation if:

  • a household is establishing a new residence in order to escape an abusive situation, regardless of the abused household member’s relationship to the abuser, and


  • requires a damage deposit to obtain rental accommodation


  • it has not been provided previously for the same place/time through Income Support as Expected To Work (ETW)/Barriers to Full Employment (BFE).

The learner household may receive the benefit as long as their relocation occurs during their period of training (e.g., a learner may spend 30 days at a shelter and then three months with family or friends before securing their own accommodation).


  • must not exceed the maximum applicable Core Shelter Benefit


Learners may request this benefit by submitting a Change in Circumstances form, and providing necessary documentation.


Evidence of abuse may include:

  • service manager’s knowledge of learner’s situation, or
  • evidence from a reliable source (e.g., police, doctor, nurse practitioner, or women’s shelter).

The amount of the damage deposit may be substantiated by:

  • word of the learner, or
  • lease agreement, or
  • letter from landlord, caretaker, owner, or management company.


Learner Benefit Coordinator, Learner Income Support Office (LISO)