» Income and Employment Supports Policy Manual

Skip To Navigation

Skip To Content

Learner Policy & Procedures

Published Date: January 01, 2019
Bookmark this page

Learner Income Support Benefits

Non-Continuous Supplementary Benefits

Escaping Abuse Benefit


Income Support, Training and Health Benefits Regulation, Schedule 4, section 14(b)
Full Time Learners:  Schedules 1, 2, 3 and 4 (Advanced Education) MO 306/2018
Full Time Learners:  Schedules 1, 2, 3 and 4 (Labour) MO 2018-32


To ensure the safety of victims of abuse. The benefit is provided to the learner to ensure they have the resources they need to establish a new household in the community and remain independent from their abuser.


An allowance to cover the cost of establishing a new residence may be provided to a learner who needs to move to escape abuse to themselves or another member of the household unit. This includes a person who is living:

  • With their spouse or partner, 
  • With someone other than their spouse or partner (e.g., roommate), or
  • Alone.

A learner who previously left an abusive situation may be eligible to receive the benefit, as long as the reason they are setting up a new household is because they left a former home due to abuse.

If the benefit has been issued before, the Learner Income Support Office Supervisor is required to issue the benefit and refer the learner to a community resource to help break the cycle of abuse.

If the spouse/partner and/or other eligible person(s) are escaping abuse from the learner, they are not eligible for this benefit. They must contact an Alberta Supports Centre to establish their own file.


See: Benefit Rate Table


If the learner is escaping abuse, the learner may notify the Learner Income Support Office (LISO) using a Change in Circumstances form for Learners.


  • Verbal statement of the learner or service provider’s knowledge of the abuse, and, only if in doubt;
    • Evidence from a reliable source (e.g., physician, nurse practitioner, police, women’s shelter)

Certificate Confirming Grounds to Terminate Tenancy

This certificate will allow the learner to break their lease without financial penalty.  LISO must refer the learner to the Common Service Processing Centre to obtain this certificate.

To obtain a Certificate Confirming Grounds to Terminate Tenancy the learner will need a court order such as an emergency protection order, a Queen’s Bench protection order or a restraining order.  Alternatively, they can obtain a statement from a person in a professional capacity such as a police officer, social worker, physician, nurse, psychologist, or other appropriate individual outlined in the Residential Tenancies Act.  

For more information on how to obtain this certificate, any Albertan can be referred to or to the Common Service Processing Centre by calling 780-422-4080 or toll free at 310-0000 followed by the number.


Learner Benefit Coordinator, Learner Income Support Office

Additional Information on benefits available for Albertans fleeing abuse.