» Income and Employment Supports Policy Manual

Skip To Navigation

Skip To Content

Learner Policy & Procedures

Published Date: April 01, 2016
Bookmark this page

Learner Income Support Benefits

Non-Continuous Supplementary Benefits

Relocation Allowance


Income Support, Training and Health Benefits Regulation, Schedule 4, section 13
Full Time Learners:  Schedules 1, 2, 3 and 4 (Advanced Education) MO 306/2018
Full Time Learners:  Schedules 1, 2, 3 and 4 (Labour) MO 2018-32


The Government of Alberta assists with a learner household’s costs when a residential move is required.


The Government of Alberta may pay for actual moving costs of the learner household unit using the most economical and reasonable means, if:

  • a residential move within Alberta or Canada is essential to accept full-time employment and the move occurs while the learner is on income support
  • to escape a situation of abuse, regardless of the victim’s relationship with the abuser
  • a residential move is required to another province or territory where financial or social supports are available.

Costs of moving are restricted to actual costs of moving only these items:

  • the affected household unit members
  • household goods
  • appliances and furniture.

Additional moving expenses may include:

  • reasonable hotel or motel costs and meals if essential to the move and the well-being of the family, especially the children
  • rental truck, gas, insurance, trailer deposits, and/or bus fare
  • professional moving company only if self-move is not possible
  • packing if a person is unable to pack due to medical reasons.

The member of the learner household must use the most economical and reasonable means of moving and those who are able to move themselves are expected to do so.

When the cost of the move is more than the value of one month’s benefits and the person reapplies for assistance in Alberta within 12 months of receiving this benefit, he or she will be required to repay all the moving costs issued.


Learners must submit a Change in Circumstances form during the training period requesting the benefit.


Moving to Confirmed Employment

  • A written job confirmation from the employer or confirmation from the learner’s Authorized Official or authorized training provider.

Moving Out of Alberta – Relocation

  • Verbal statement of learner or their Authorized Official's or authorized training provider's knowledge of the situation.

Moving to Escape Abuse

  • Verbal statement of learner or communication (i.e. Mobius Notes, verbal statement) from their Authorized Official or authorized training provider.


Learner Benefit Coordinator, Learner Income Support Office (LISO)