» Income and Employment Supports Policy Manual

Skip To Navigation

Skip To Content

Expected to Work/Barriers to Full Employment Policy & Procedures

Published Date: January 01, 2023
Bookmark this page

08 Supplementary Benefits

Escaping Abuse Benefit (Household Start-Up)


Income and Employment Supports Act, Schedule, section 10
Income Support, Training and Health Benefits Regulation, Schedule 4, section 14(b)
Ministerial Order 2018-19, Appendix D: Schedule 4 - Supplementary Income Support Rates


Community and Social Services provides supports to ensure the ongoing safety of victims of abuse. The escaping abuse benefit is provided to help victims of abuse establish a household in the community and remain independent from their abuser.


An allowance to cover the cost of establishing a residence in the community is provided to an applicant or client when they or a member of the household unit is being abused. This includes a person who is living:

  • With their spouse or partner, 
  • With someone other than their spouse or partner (e.g., roommate), or
  • Alone.

The client does not have to have recently left the abuser to receive this benefit, as long as the reason they are setting up a new household is because they left their former home due to abuse.

If a client has been issued this benefit once, and requests it again, the worker should have a discussion with the client to refer them to community resources to help break the cycle of abuse.

The Escaping Abuse Benefit may be issued as a one-time issue. When determining a One-Time Issue, the worker must first ensure the client does not qualify for ongoing benefits.

The Escaping Abuse Benefit is one of a number of benefits available for Albertan’s fleeing abuse.


Clients substantiate their need for this benefit by:

  • Verbal statement of the client or worker’s knowledge of the abuse and only if in doubt
  • Evidence from another professional source (e.g. physician, nurse practitioner, police, women’s shelter)

Certificate Confirming Grounds to Terminate Tenancy

This certificate will allow the client to break their lease without financial penalty.  The worker must refer the client to the Common Service Processing Centre to obtain this certificate.

To obtain a Certificate Confirming Grounds to Terminate Tenancy the client will need a court order such as an emergency protection order, a Queen’s Bench protection order or a restraining order.  Alternatively, they can obtain a statement from a person in a professional capacity such as a police officer, social worker, physician, nurse, psychologist, or other appropriate individual outlined in the Residential Tenancies Act.  

For more information on how to obtain this certificate, any Albertan can be referred to or to the Common Service Processing Centre by calling 780-422-4080 or toll free at 310-0000 followed by the number.


LISA automatically posts this benefit to the Scratch Pad.

The worker reviews the client's circumstances and records the reasons the benefit was issued in Mobius Notes.

Need Code
1849  Escaping Abuse Benefit